Business Development Officer
Category: Civil Service - Current Vacancies
Close Date: March 9, 2012
How To Apply -
Applicants will need to complete the civil service online employment application and submit the exam request form by the specified deadline in order to apply.
New Applicants: Please create an account from the Home Page. Once account is created, you will need to click on the Civil Service page and click "Apply Now" which will give you access to the Civil Service employment application forms. Once the pre-approval and application forms are complete, submit an exam request form to apply.
Returning Applicants: Please login to your profile on the Home page, ensure your civil service employment application is up to date, and submit an exam request form to apply.
All Applicants: In order for us to properly evaluate your qualifications for this position, be sure to include complete employment history detailing duties, education and certifications. In order for college coursework to be considered as a part of the Required Qualifications, please submit college transcripts (official or unofficial). Transcripts can be submitted via e-mail, fax, mail or in person to the Office of Human Resources. Failure to list or accurately describe work experience, or failure to submit college transcripts may result in an applicant not being admitted to the exam.
Reminder: Applicants must be residents of the State of Illinois.
Minimum Starting Salary: $17.67 per hour
This position may require pre-employment screening pursuant to the UIS Pre-Employment Policy.
UIS is an affirmative action/equal employment opportunity employer; persons with disabilities, women, and minorities are encouraged to apply.
- Meet or exceed individual revenue goals on a monthly basis.
2. Identify prospects and meet with them securing business gifts for WUIS.
3. Build and maintain strong relationships with current business donors.
4. Follow station policy regarding copy approval, deadlines, receivables, and collections.
5. Participate in station activities, meetings, events, and pledge drives.
6. Anticipate, meet, and/or exceed donor needs, wants, and expectations.
7. Identify and convert prospects into donors.
8. Write effective copy for business gift acknowledgments that comply with WUIS and FCC guidelines.
9. Seek cash business matches for fund drives.
10. Undergo University of Illinois Foundation and other training as needed.
11. Act in a way consistent with WUIS' standards, missions, and values.
12. Build and maintain positive working relationships with staff, departments, and volunteers.
13. Represent WUIS in a manner that meets with WUIS' market image.
14. Be self-directed in managing time, priorities, completing tasks on time within guidelines and initiating concepts.
15. Communicate ideas persuasively to groups and individuals.
16. Be punctual.
17. Pay attention to detail.
18. Maintain confidentiality of donor files and information.
19. Conduct prospect "Needs Analysis".
20. Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Qualifications -
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY A PLACEMENT OFFICER.
One or an acceptable combination of:
- A Bachelors degree or higher, with a major in Public Relations, Communications, or a closely related field.
2. One year of professional fundraising work experience with responsibility for developing and implementing fundraising campaigns
Four years of professional fundraising work experience with responsibility for developing and implementing fundraising campaigns.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
2. Knowledge of regional market including decision makers, events, and key accounts.
3. Ability to apply basic concepts of algebra and work with spreadsheets and account for cash and trade according to GAP.
4. Ability to reason and solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
6. Valid driver's license.
Personal Attributes Needed to Undertake Job:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability work effectively with the public, alumni, university staff, and multiple audiences.
2. Knowledge of fundraising procedures and protocols.
3. Proficiency in computer skills, including word processing, and spreadsheet and proprietary account management software (Allegiance/FACTS). Ability to work with a variety of windows-based software programs to create presentations.
4. Ability to organize and be self-directed in leading one's self, staff, and volunteers to actively solicit funds from businesses, nonprofits, foundations, alumni, and other prospects.
- This position will require several hours a day traveling and attending meetings.
2. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
UIS is an AA/EEO employer with a strong institutional commitment to recruitment and retention of a diverse and inclusive campus community.